Upper Trinity
Regional Water District

900 North Kealy Street
P.O. Box 305
Lewisville, Texas 75067
(972) 219-1228

Get a Map

Household Hazardous Waste

  •             Overview         
  •             Disposal            
  •   Acceptable Materials  
  •      Special Concerns     

Collection Program

HHW eventPaint, cleaning compounds, insecticides, herbicides, oils, batteries and light bulbs can be found in almost every garage or cabinet at home. Yet, if not improperly disposed of, these common household hazardous products can be a threat to our health and the environment. Pouring any of these products down the drain or dumping in the trash could contaminate the water in our streams and lakes - - the sources of our drinking water.

HHW trailerUpper Trinity provides a Household Hazardous Waste Collection Program (Program) for area communities. Participating communities can schedule special collection events for its residents  to dispose of their common household hazardous products in a safe and environmentally responsible manner. Whether your community participates in the Program or not, any  resident may obtain a voucher to dispose of its hazardous products at either a future collection event or at Upper Trinity’s contracted facility in Fort Worth.

To learn more about Upper Trinity’s Program and what household products are considered hazardous, please select one of the tabs above.


Disposing HHW Products

The Upper Trinity Regional Water District (District) offers four different methods for individuals who wish to safely and responsibly dispose of Household Hazardous Waste (HHW).

  • Scheduled Event: Deliver your HHW to a local collection event. Citizens of a participating community receive a notice of the date and time of the event.

  • Contract Voucher: If your city is participating in the District's program for collection of household hazardous waste, you may pick up a voucher from the HHW coordinator for your city. When  the voucher is used, your city will be billed.

  • Event Voucher: May be purchased by an individual directly from  the District at 900 N. Kealy in Lewisville.

  • Fort Worth Voucher:  May be purchased by an individual directly from the District at 900 N. Kealy in Lewisville.

How Does It Work?

  • With a "Contract Voucher" or a "Fort Worth Voucher", deliver your HHW directly to the Environmental Collection Center, 6400 Bridge Street in Fort Worth.
  • With an "Event Voucher", take your HHW directly to a specific mobile collection event already scheduled by the District in Denton County.

The voucher entitles one household to deliver that household's HHW (not a collection from neighbors) to the appropriate location. Just present the purchased voucher to the attending staff. That's it!!

HOW MUCH DO THE VOUCHERS COST?  Rates for the voucher programs will be approved each fiscal year by the District's Board of Directors.

WHERE DO I GET MORE INFORMATION?  For more information about the program, call the Upper Trinity Regional Water District at (972) 219-1228 and ask for the HHW Coordinator.

Acceptable Materials


Acids Fertilizers Paints/Stains/Varnishes
Aerosol Cans Fluorescent Lights Paint Thinners
Antifreeze Fungicides Pest Strips
Batteries (car & household) Gasoline Pesticides
Brake Fluid Herbicides Photo Chemicals
Craft Chemicals Household Cleaners Pool Chemicals
Hobby Chemicals Items with Mercury Solvents
Degreasers Motor Oil Unwanted Fuel
Drain Cleaners Oil Filters  


Packaging Instructions

For your safety and to make the collection of materials more efficient, we request that you take these precautions prior to bringing materials to the collection site:

  • household goodsIf a product is still usable, try to give it to someone who  can use it. It is not "waste" if it is something someone can use!
  • Please bring liquid paint sorted by type (latex, oil-based,     lead-based, etc.)
  • Please keep chemicals in  their containers. Place broken or leaking containers inside a second container or like   materials (e.g., glass for corrosives, metal for flammables) and label properly.
  • If container has no label and its contents are known, please place a label on the container clearly stating the contents.
  • DO NOT transport chemicals in the passenger compartment of your vehicle. Put them in the trunk or bed of your truck.


Special Concerns

There are many different chemicals and solid substances that cause water quality and supply issues, but this page highlights specific items that are emerging problems and/or have been in the current news cycle and may affect North Texas water supplies.  Pharmaceuticals, Personal Care Products (PCP) and flushable wipes are commonly used in our everyday lives, but many times are improperly disposed of when they are flushed down the toilet or down the sink.

Pharmaceuticals, though in very small amounts in the environment at the present time, can cause issues such as mutations in fish and create problems for our drinking water since current technologies cannot remove these chemicals from the water.  It is important for citizens to not flush pharmaceuticals down the toilet or sink to keep our water as clean as possible for a healthy environment.  Pharmaceuticals can be brought to an HHW Collection Event or a National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day event near you.  You may also check with your pharmacy for any other take-back opportunities.


Although flushable wipes and PCPs can be flushed down the toilet, it doesn’t mean they should be.  These products cause significant damage to water treatment facilities as they clog pipes and break gaskets and other components of wastewater treatment systems.  Repairing these systems can be costly, which may result in higher bills for consumers.  These should instead be disposed of in the trash.  Watch the two video clips from the Dr. Oz Show below to understand the impact of flushable wipes on water treatment systems and how to reduce your use of flushable wipes.

            Dr. Oz Show video clip part 1
                 Dr. Oz Show video clip part 2


Additional Resources: